Unattended Children Policy
The Board of Trustees of the Marshes of Glynn Libraries, in order to assist library personnel to complete their duties, provide an atmosphere conducive to study and the appropriate use of the library’s services and facilities, and provide for the safety, comfort and welfare of patrons of all ages has adopted the following policy:
- The library is not responsible for the care of unattended minors.
The library will provide services consistent with its mission statement but will not act as nor provide services associated with a daycare, after school care facility, summer camp or babysitting service. The library will make no determination as to the suitability or authority of anyone arriving or being contacted to transport a minor from library grounds or for minors leaving library grounds with either another minor or an adult.
- Children age 8 and under may not be left unattended in the library.
Care providers must supervise and provide guidance and control for their charges at all times. Adult supervision (age 18 or older) must be provided to all children under the age of 8.
- Children between the ages of 9 and 12 should not be left unattended in the library for extended periods of time.
Attendance at library programs, browsing for recreational reading and after school use of the library for homework and study are encouraged and considered appropriate. In general, the library considers more than 2-3 hours (depending on the age and conduct of the child) to be excessive and inappropriate. Parents may be notified and asked to pick up and/or provide supervision for their child.
- Children between the ages of 13 and 17 may be in the library without a parent or caregiver.
However, they are still legally the responsibility of their parent or guardian and must abide by library rules and policies. The library may require children between these ages to be accompanied by a parent or guardian if rules and policies are not followed.
- Children under 12 attending any Children/Youth program must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or caregiver during the duration of the program.
- Those unattended minors who do not abide by library rules and policies, or who exhibit unacceptable behavior, will be asked to leave, and/or call their parents for a ride.
If a minor is unable to contact their parents or if a ride does not arrive after 15 minutes, they may be considered abandoned and the authorities called. Library employees will wait with minors for 15 minutes before contacting the authorities.
- The library is not responsible for minors without a ride home at closing.
Minors without a ride home at closing may be considered abandoned and the authorities called after 15 minutes. Employees of the Marshes of Glynn Libraries may not offer to or transport minors to their home or any other location, either in the instance that the minor is left on library grounds after closing or at any other time.
- Medical Emergencies.
The library will immediately contact emergency medical services if cause of need is given. The library will not be responsible for any treatment administered or any result thereof nor any cost associated with the provision of such services.
Approved by the MOGL Board of Trustees on May 14, 2014